Terms and Conditions of Use
Lifespan Learning Institute will make every reasonable effort to assure your privacy. We will never sell your information. We will not share your personal information except for the following:
the listed cosponsors of the programs you for which you have registered,
as necessary to comply with the reporting requirements of the various accrediting organizations that enable us to provide Continuing Education Credit,
or if required to do so by governmental or law enforcement agencies.
We do not retain or store any credit card payment information on our server.
Blog and Forum Posting Terms and Requirements
All blog and forum posts and responses and associated attachments are public. All information and files you post in these areas are visible and available to anyone viewing the forum or blog.
• Your name or username will be published with your response. If you want your email address to appear , include it in the body of the text of your response.
• Responses may be moderated before or after posting and publication at the absolute discretion of Lifespan Learning Institute. Once published, you will not have the right to remove or edit your response. Removal or editing of responses is at Lifespan Learning Institute's absolute discretion.
• If patients could recognize themselves, or anyone else could recognize a patient from your description, please obtain the patient's written consent to publication before submitting your posting.
• By submitting this posting you are agreeing to our full posting terms and requirements (see below).
Full Posting Terms and Requirements
When you submit a response, you agree to the following, which may be amended from time to time:
• We aim to post relevant responses within 1 working day. It is at our absolute discretion whether we publish any particular response.
• We won't publish responses that we think are not appropriate, are likely to end in legal difficulties, and/or appear to be, obscene, libellous (or would require us spending time or money to establish that they aren't), in some other way illegal (for example, inciting racial hatred, contempt of court, breach of intellectual property rights), incomprehensible, insubstantial, written in capital letters, not written in English, almost entirely a quote from somewhere else, gratuitously rude, blatant advertising, or that give information on patients without their written consent, or are sent by someone who does not provide adequate and accurate personal details including a functioning email address, or from people we suspect have used an alias, or who does not respond to email. We make our own judgements on the sorts of legal issues mentioned above, rather than refer them to our lawyer. By far the most common problem we see is libel. In nearly all cases the responses don't warrant us spending time and money to confirm our judgement that something is libellous (and we have experience from cases where we have consulted our lawyer that our judgement is usually right) and don't warrant making an effort to substantiate defamatory responses. The same applies to other breaches - contempt of court, copyright, etc.
• If only a line or two of an otherwise OK response is defamatory or extremely abusive, we may delete the line and post the rest.
• If patients could recognize themselves from your description or anyone else could recognise the patient, please obtain the patient’s written consent to publication before sending your response.
• Your response must be original and not infringe any third party's intellectual property rights. We make no distinction between different types of respondent: doctors, other health professionals, patients, people from the USA, people from other countries, Lifespan Learning Institute members, etc. We pay attention only to the content.
• Your name or username will be published with your response. If you want your email address to appear, include it in the body of the text of your posting.
• We reserve the right to edit responses before and after publication.
• Once a response has been published on the website, you will not have the right to have it removed or edited in any way. The Lifespan Learning Institute shall, however, be able to remove any article at its absolute discretion.
• Authors are responsible for the accuracy of what they say in their responses. We cannot check facts, though we may challenge authors if we think they are wrong and may ask them to substantiate what they say- for example by giving a reference. We also do not check references to say that they really say what they are claimed to say, that too is the author's responsibility.
• All responses are eligible for publication in the Lifespan Learning Institute newsletter and can be sub licensed to third parties for their use as deemed fit by the Lifespan Learning Institute including( but not limited to) within social media. All of the foregoing may be within any media known now or created in the future.
• While we try to deal with all our authors in as courteous and timely manner as possible, because our threshold for posting responses is low, dealing with potentially contentious responses is a low priority for us.
• We do minimal editing. We place the onus for correct spelling and punctuation firmly on the authors, and we don't have to correct these errors before or after publication.
• We avoid entering into lengthy correspondence about why we have not posted a response, it's not a good use of our resources and it is at our discretion.
• If asked to submit any competing interest declaration, this must be done honestly and truthfully.
Information You Submit
Forums, social networking areas, or other interactive areas on the Web Site ("User Forums") are provided to give users a forum to express their opinions and share their ideas and information. Users may be able to upload or otherwise submit information, data, software, messages, suggestions, photographs, audio, video, text, and other materials to the Web Site through User Forums and other Web Site features ("Your Upload Information").
Company and Affiliates (defined below) do not endorse the content, including, without limitation, any of Your Upload Information, posted in User Forums or otherwise on the Web Site. Company reserves the right, but is not obligated, to reject, delete, move or edit Your Upload Information in whole or in part, for any reason in Company's sole discretion Company reserves the right to suspend or terminate your access to the Web Site and pursue all legal remedies if we believe your Upload Information infringes another's copyright or otherwise violates any law, rule or regulation.
You acknowledge and agree that you are prohibited from accepting payment for Your Upload Information, including, without limitation, accepting payment for the inclusion of a logo, brand or other commercial content, in Your Upload Information. Your Upload Information is your sole responsibility. This means that you, and not Company, are entirely responsible for all Your Upload Information that you upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available via the Web Site.
If you post personal information in User Forums or on other publicly available areas of the Web Site then you may receive unsolicited communications or messages from third parties. Company cannot ensure the security of any information you post in the public areas of the Web Site. Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any of Your Upload Information including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in Your Upload Information, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of Your Upload Information. You represent that Your Upload Information is an original work by you or you have all necessary rights in it to submit it to Company under the terms of this site; that it is not defamatory; and that it does not infringe upon, misappropriate or violate the rights of any third parties, including, without limitation, any intellectual property rights, rights of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary rights or otherwise violate any law, rule or regulation. You further agree that you are solely liable for any and all costs, claims, demands, investigations, liabilities, losses, damages, judgments, settlements, costs and expenses, including attorneys' fees, connected to or arising from your breach of any representation or warranty, or other violation of the terms of these Terms or any Additional Terms.
You further agree that Company, its Affiliates, and the directors, officers, employees, and other representatives of each of them will have the unfettered right throughout the universe, in perpetuity, without any credit or compensation to you, to use, reuse, modify, alter, display, archive, publish, sub-license, perform, reproduce, disclose, transmit, broadcast, post, sell, translate, create derivative works of, distribute and use for advertising, marketing, publicity and promotional purposes, any of Your Upload Information or portions of Your Upload Information, and your name, voice, likeness, and other identifying information in any form, media, software or technology of any kind now known or developed in the future for any purposes whatsoever including, without limitation, developing, manufacturing and marketing products using Your Upload Information.
You hereby waive any moral rights you may have in and to any of Your Upload Information, even if such material is altered or changed in a manner not agreeable to you. You agree and understand that Company and its Affiliates are not obligated to use Your Upload Information, submitted through the Web Site or otherwise, and may alternatively choose to discard, limit or block access to Your Upload Information without any liability whatsoever. You acknowledge that the Web Site, through Company and its Affiliates undertake no obligation to pre-screen Your Upload Information, but that it has the unfettered right (but not the obligation), in its sole discretion, to modify, edit, transmit over various networks, refuse, move, block access to, or remove any of Your Upload Information. Company might or might not post Your Upload Information, and it is not required to do so. Also, Company may discard or destroy Your Upload Information at any time it chooses, without any notice or liability to you. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any of Your Upload Information including, but not limited to, any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of Your Upload Information. You understand that you may bear legal responsibility for others' exposure to any offensive, indecent, or objectionable content in your Upload Information.
Please note that, generally, Your Upload Information will be accessible by other users of the Web Site. Please be sure that any of Your Upload Information that you post on any publicly accessible portion of the Web Site (including any entries that you choose to share with others, either via the Web Site or by e-mailing the entry or entries to your friends or families) is information that you are comfortable sharing with others.
TERMS of SERVICE
ENROLLING IN PROGRAMS AND CONFERENCES
Payment: If you select "Pay Later" as your payment method, your registration is not complete until the payment has been received. You must call to make payment within 10 days or your registration will be automatically cancelled.
STUDENTS: you must provide verification of your status before the beginning of the program. If you do not do so, you will not be eligible for any discount taken at registration and you agree to pay the outstanding amount due on the full fee. not every program offers a discount.
ADA Compliance: In accordance with the American with Disability Act (ADA), please contact our office (310.474.2505) at least 2 weeks before the program if you need special accommodations
Cancellations - Live Programs: Individual programs have specific terms of service to which you agree when registering on line.
If Lifespan Learning Institute cancels or postpones a program, a full refund will be issued.
If you need to cancel:
Cancellation must be made in writing (by mail or by email) and received in our offices at least 10 days prior to the first date of the program.
All cancellations are subject to a 20% cancellation fee or $30.00, which ever is greater.
The cancellation fee is applicable even if you selected "pay later" and have not yet paid.
No refund will be made for cancellations made within 10 days of the start of the program.
Lifespan Learning Institute is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformance with the Ethical Principles of the APA, BRN, CAMFT, CMA and NBCC. Lifespan Learning Institute will comply with all legal and ethical responsibilities to be non-discriminatory in promotional activities, program content and in the treatment of program participants. The monitoring and assessment of compliance with these standards will be the responsibility of the Education Chair in consultation with the members of the continuing education committee and the program Chairperson.
While Lifespan Learning Institute goes to great lengths to assure fair treatment for all participants and attempts to anticipate problems, there will be occasional issues which come to the attention of the program staff which require intervention and/or action on the part of the program staff or an officer of Lifespan Learning Institute. This procedural description serves as a guideline for handling such grievances.
When a participant, either orally or in written format, files a grievance and expects action on the complaint, the following actions will be taken.
1. If the grievance concerns a speaker, the content presented by the speaker, or the style of presentation, the individual filing the grievance will be asked to put his/her comments in written format. The CE Chair will then pass on the comments to the speaker, assuring the confidentiality of the grieved individual.
2. If the grievance concerns a program offering, its content, level of presentation, or the facilities in which the program was offered, the program chair will mediate and will be the final arbitrator. If the participant requests action, the program chair will:
a. provide a fee credit toward a future program or
b. provide a partial or full refund of the program fee.
Actions 2a and 2b will require a written note, documenting the grievance, for record keeping purposes. The note need not be signed by the grieved individual.
3. If the grievance concerns the Lifespan Learning Institute CE program, in a specific regard, the CE Chair will attempt to arbitrate.
Joining as a User/member: By joining as a user for Lifespan Learning Institute Registration System you will be able to login to see all the programs you are currently registered for, make basic updates to your information, and payments if you chose "pay later" or if you paid only a deposit.
Please do not share your login information with anyone. We do not store your actual payment information in our database, and we strive to provide an as secure as possible environment to protect your personal information. We will not share your personal information with others without your permission.
Restrictions on Use
RESTRICTIONS ON USE As used in the Terms, "Affiliates" means Lifespan Learning Institute. You represent, warrant and agree not to do any of the following while using the Web Site:
• harass, stalk, sexually exploit, violently exploit, act violently toward or otherwise abuse another user;
• upload, post, e-mail, transmit, display, distribute, promote or otherwise make available (collectively, "Transmit") any material: (i) that is profane, false, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, disparaging (including disparaging of Company or the Affiliates); (ii) contains any negative comments that pertain to an individual's race or national origin, gender, sexual preference, religion or physical handicap; (iii) that adversely affects Company or Affiliates business such as discouraging any person or entity from advertising with, linking to or supplying Company or Affiliates; (iv) is vulgar, indecent, sexual, obscene or pornographic; (v) that promotes violence, racial hatred, terrorism or illegal acts; (vi) contains the personal information of a third party; or (vii) is otherwise objectionable (as determined by Company in its sole discretion);
• Transmit any content, information, or software that is unlawful, plagiarizes, or infringes, violates or misappropriates any patent, trademark, trade identity right, trade secret, publicity right, privacy right, copyright (including, without limitation, offering pirated computer programs or links to such programs, information used to circumvent manufacturer-installed copy-protect devices, including serial registration numbers for software programs, or any type of cracker utilities), or any other intellectual property, proprietary right or any other rights of any third party;
• Transmit material of any kind that contains viruses, Trojan horses, time bombs, worms, spyware, bots, any automated use of the system, such as scripts, or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files or post material that interferes with any third party's uninterrupted use and enjoyment of the Web Site, interferes with or disrupts the Web Site or servers or networks connected to the Web Site or disobeys any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Web Site;
• impersonate any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity, or otherwise disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the Web Site or to Company, including forging or manipulating any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any transmission to the Web Site for any reason;
• transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, requests for money, petitions for signature, or any other form of solicitation or offer for sale of any products or services, except in areas specifically designated for such purposes;
• encourage, promote, solicit or commit conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, federal or international law, rule or regulation or otherwise make available any material that exploits or harms any individual, corporation or other entity; disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of the Web Site are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges; or solicit or collect personal data including, without limitation, telephone numbers, addresses, last names or email addresses, about other users.
You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of this Web Site, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct of any user. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users.
Disclaimers/Limitations on Liability
THE WEB SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL CONTENT, SOFTWARE AND FUNCTIONS MADE AVAILABLE ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH OR SENT FROM THE WEB SITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS," "AS AVAILABLE," AND "WITH ALL FAULTS". TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, COMPANY AND ITS AFFILIATES MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OR ENDORSEMENTS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ABOUT: (A) THE WEB SITE; (B) THE CONTENT AND SOFTWARE ON AND PROVIDED THROUGH THE WEB SITE; (C) THE FUNCTIONS MADE ACCESSIBLE ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE WEB SITE; (D) THE MESSAGES AND INFORMATION SENT FROM THE WEB SITE BY USERS; (E) ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEB SITE OR HYPERTEXT LINKS TO THIRD PARTIES; AND/OR (F) SECURITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE TRANSMISSION OF SENSITIVE INFORMATION THROUGH THE WEB SITE OR ANY LINKED SITE. COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE WEB SITE, ANY OF THE WEB SITE'S FUNCTIONS OR ANY CONTENT CONTAINED THEREIN WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE; THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED; OR THAT THE WEB SITE OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT YOUR ACTIVITIES OR USE OF THE WEB SITE IS LAWFUL IN ANY PARTICULAR JURISDICTION AND, IN ANY EVENT, COMPANY SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS SUCH WARRANTIES. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT BY USING ANY OF THE FEATURES OF THE WEB SITE, YOU ACT AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOUR ACTIVITIES ARE LAWFUL IN EVERY JURISDICTION WHERE YOU ACCESS OR USE THE WEB SITE OR THE CONTENT. FURTHER, COMPANY AND ITS AFFILIATES DISCLAIM ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES. INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND TITLE. COMPANY OR ITS AFFILIATES OR THE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES OF EACH OF THEM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE USE OF THE WEB SITE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE CONTENT AND ANY ERRORS CONTAINED THEREIN. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT ALLOW THE DISCLAIMER OF IMPLIED OR OTHER WARRANTIES SO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER MAY NOT APPLY TO THE EXTENT SUCH JURISDICTION'S LAW IS APPLICABLE TO THIS AGREEMENT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT COMPANY LIMITS ITS LIABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE AS SET FORTH BELOW: NEITHER COMPANY NOR THE AFFILIATES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO ANY USER'S COMPUTER, HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, CELL PHONE, MODEM OR OTHER EQUIPMENT OR TECHNOLOGY INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGE FROM ANY SECURITY BREACH OR FROM ANY VIRUS, BUGS, TAMPERING, FRAUD, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER LINE OR NETWORK FAILURE OR ANY OTHER TECHNICAL OR OTHER MALFUNCTION. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL COMPANY AND THE AFFILIATES OR THE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES OF EACH OF THEM (COLLECTIVELY, THE "COMPANY ENTITIES AND INDIVIDUALS"), BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, CONSEQUENTIAL, ECONOMIC OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES), THAT ARE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RELATED TO: (1) THIS WEB SITE AND ITS CONTENT, SOFTWARE OR YOUR UPLOAD INFORMATION; (2) THE USE OF, INABILITY TO USE, OR PERFORMANCE OF THE WEB SITE (3) ANY ACTION TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH AN INVESTIGATION BY COMPANY OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES REGARDING YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE OR CONTENT; (4) ANY ACTION TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH COPYRIGHT OWNERS; OR (5) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE WEB SITE'S TECHNICAL OPERATION, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE OR EVEN IF COMPANY OR THE AFFILIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THOSE DAMAGES WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY TORT (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WHETHER CAUSES IN WHOLE OR IN PART BY NEGLIGENCE, ACTS OF GOD, TELECOMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, OR THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OF THE WEB SITE). IN NO EVENT WILL COMPANY ENTITIES AND INDIVIDUALS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR LOSS OR INJURY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION IN THESE TERMS, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE COMPANY ENTITIES AND INDIVIDUALS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY REASON RELATED OR ANY CAUSE OF ACTION WHATSOEVER IN AN AMOUNT GREATER THAN FIFTY DOLLARS ($50). YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THIS WEB SITE IS AT YOUR RISK. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE WEB SITE OR ANY OF THE CONTENT, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE ACCESSING AND USING THE WEB SITE OR THE CONTENT. YOU RECOGNIZE AND CONFIRM THAT IN THE EVENT YOU INCUR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR INJURIES THAT ARISE OUT OF COMPANY'S ACTS OR OMISSIONS, THE DAMAGES, IF ANY, CAUSED TO YOU ARE NOT IRREPARABLE OR SUFFICIENT TO ENTITLE YOU TO AN INJUNCTION PREVENTING ANY EXPLOITATION OF ANY WEB SITE, PROPERTY, PRODUCT, PROGRAM, TELEVISION SHOW, MOTION PICTURE OR OTHER AUDIO/VISUAL CONTENT OWNED OR CONTROLLED BY COMPANY AND/OR ITS AFFILIATES OR YOUR UPLOAD INFORMATION, AND YOU WILL HAVE NO RIGHTS TO ENJOIN OR RESTRAIN THE DEVELOPMENT, PRODUCTION, DISTRIBUTION, ADVERTISING, EXHIBITION OR EXPLOITATION OF ANY COMPANY WEB SITE, PROPERTY, PRODUCT, PROGRAM, TELEVISION SHOW, MOTION PICTURE OR OTHER AUDIO/VISUAL CONTENT OR YOUR UPLOAD INFORMATION OR ANY AND ALL ACTIVITIES OR ACTIONS RELATED THERETO. BY ACCESSING THIS WEB SITE, I UNDERSTAND THAT I MAY BE WAIVING RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO CLAIMS THAT ARE AT THIS TIME UNKNOWN OR UNSUSPECTED, AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH SUCH WAIVER, I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND, AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY WAIVE, THE BENEFITS OF SECTION 1542 OF THE CIVIL CODE OF CALIFORNIA, AND ANY SIMILAR LAW OF ANY STATE OR TERRITORY, WHICH PROVIDES AS FOLLOWS: "A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR."
NO PERSONAL ADVICE
This Web Site, its Content (including any information provided by users) is for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended to replace or substitute for any professional financial, medical, legal, or other advice. In addition to the "Disclaimer/Limitation on Liability" paragraph above, the Company Entities and Individuals make no representations or warranties and expressly disclaim any and all liability concerning any treatment or action by any person following the information offered or provided within or through the Web Site. If you have specific concerns or a situation in which you require professional or medical advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified specialist.